The Build a Bike activity is a popular and rewarding way of collaborating and working closely as a team to make a real difference in a local community.
- Organise a community event and explore a new culture
- Get hands on and involved with community projects
- Learn about and apply corporate social responsibility
- Work hard and accomplish goals to the benefit of others
- Consider win-win concepts
- Learn new skills with uses outside the workplace
- Consider ways in which these skills and CSR can be translated into a work environment
- To plan and organise a community event
- To consider ways to achieve corporate social responsibility
- To improve cooperation as a team
- To work on creativity, critical thinking and innovation
- To consider ways in CSR can be translated into a work environment
- To learn new skills with uses outside the workplace
- To explore a new culture
The group will be divided into teams of 10+ participants. Each team will be tasked to complete a series of games in a competition against other teams. After each game, teams receive parts of a bike which they bring along with them to the second part of the activity; building their team’s bike. At the end of the day the bikes are donated to the children of the charity in a surprise ceremony with everyone involved.
There are a number of charities and projects to choose from and Making Teams can select the charity together with the client.
By donating the bikes, the teams will get the chance to to make a real difference in a local community and the lives of the people in it.
- Local school
After each game, the winning team receives a point and part of the bike to construct in the second part. The team with the most points receives help from a professional bike mechanic. The first team to finish constructing their bike wins and receives an award.
Safety is an important aspect of this program and before we send the bikes to the beneficiary they will be checked by professional mechanic to ensure proper functioning and the kids can ride them with joy!
Pre-briefing and debriefing lead by instructors can form a part of the process, both to enhance the learning outcomes and experiences of the delegates. Usually the beneficiary is invited to receive the bikes donated by the client but the presence of the kids is kept secret until the last moment to increase the impact of the experience of both the kids and delegates.
Starting with a four hour half day option, this activity can be expanded to an eight hour full day event.
- Lunch or dinner in a local restaurant
- T-shirts with your logo
- Banners / Flags / Caps
- Gifts for all participants
- Photographer or Videographer
- Conference room rental and AV set up
- Extra facilitators
- Up- and downloading data with social media